“Adam Gillespie: Photographs from Iraq” is on view in the Joe McCauley Gallery at Heartland Community College from October 22 through December 7. Gillespie is an aspiring photojournalist, veteran, and current Heartland student. The photographs in this exhibit document his active duty tours in Kirkuk and Samarra, Iraq from 2006 to 2010. The gallery will host an artist reception from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8.
For Gillespie, the most important part of his photography is the subject. He states: “In the gallery photos, the men are what are most important to me. They are the men I served with and fought beside. They are the reasons I took the photos, so one day I could show them to my son and tell him the stories of these men.”
Gillespie’s “Knowledge Is Power” won first place in the “A Great Day at Heartland” Photo Contest, and will be on permanent display in Instructional Commons Building North. His photographs also were selected for Heartland’s 8th Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition in 2011.
Born in Kettering, Ohio, Gillespie grew up on Navy bases throughout the country. He graduated from Bloomington High School in 1999. On active duty in the Air Force from 2001 to 2005 and in the Army from 2005 to 2010, he served in Diego Garcia, Qatar, and in Iraq. While serving in the Illinois Army National Guard from 2010 to 2011, he enrolled at HCC, where he studied darkroom and digital photography.
HCC exhibits and events in conjunction with “Adam Gillespie: Photographs from Iraq” and in honor of Veterans Day include:
• Now through Nov. 2: “Adam Gillespie: Darkroom Photos,” HCC Library display.
• Oct. 22 through Dec. 7: “Adam Gillespie: Photographs from Iraq,” McCauley Gallery exhibit.
• Nov. 2 through Dec. 7: “ Jeanette Kavanaugh: Photography,” HCC Library display. Visit http://wolfandwillowstudio.com for samples.
• Nov. 6: “Photography without Cameras”—Led by Jane Camp, assistant professor of painting and drawing, attendees will participate in a free hands-on workshop for HCC students and staff. From 5 to 6 p.m. in Room ICB 2505 of the Instructional Commons Building. Pre-registration is required.
• Nov. 8: Artist reception for “Adam Gillespie: Photographs from Iraq” in the Joe McCauley Gallery, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
• Nov. 9: “Veterans Portraits” by Adam Gillespie—Free portrait sessions for veterans who are HCC students and staff, in Room SCB 1101 of the Student Commons Building, 12:30 to 3:15 p.m. Pre-registration required.
• Nov. 11 & 12: Veterans Day & Veterans Day observed.
Joe McCauley Gallery exhibits and events are free and open to the public. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. The gallery is located in Room ICB 2507 of the Instructional Commons Building at Heartland Community College, 1500 W. Raab Rd. in Normal. Parking is free. For more information, call Danell Dvorak, gallery coordinator, (309) 268-8599, or contact the Humanities and Fine Arts Division at (309) 268-8620.